A month or so ago, I sewed up two pairs of Closet Case Files Carolyn PJs. The first a flannelette pair without piping and the second a quilting cotton pair with piping. I was putting off the piping version because (like all things new to me) I was nervous and whiney and a bit lazy about it. Turns out that it was actually pretty simple and piping makes shit look rad. It’s true. Gives it a bit of something.
Fast forward to yesterday when I was ummming and uhhhhing over the best way to use my delightful Liberty fabric. Yes, Liberty. Fancy as heck. Actually when it first arrived I wasn’t sure what the big deal was, but after a wash and a press it is so lovely and soft and really nice to sew with. I was contemplating yet another Sudley, but decided in the end that it would be really nice as a Sewaholic Alma and I hadn’t made one in a while. But what would I wear with it, besides jeans? All my skirts are prints. Wardrobe gap! Decided to make what I’d been putting off for a while (because, plain black and maths – yawwwwwn), a box pleated skirt in black sateen. Oh yes.
Piping on rolls was an op shop score.
The skirt was really basic – I just played with pleat width until I could fit the skirt panels into the waistband (15cms x 3). There’s a side zip and a side seam pocket on one side. I made it a couple of inches longer than normal so I can wear it when I’m working. I added piping to the top and bottom of the waistband. After a tip from one of my FB sewing buddies, I enclosed the raw edge of the waistband facing in satin bias binding instead of folding it under. Not the neatest finish, but a nifty way of getting rid of bulk and not having to worry about catching both sides of the waistband when stitching from one side.
I’ve made a few Almas, they go together as per the pattern except for a couple of changes – I add an inch or so to the hem as I tend to wear them with jeans and like the extra length and I also omit the zipper because I don’t need it. This time of course, I added the piping and I’m freaking proud of that collar. All the practice is paying off. Oh and the sleeves on this baby are different too, I stole them from a dress pattern. I love that little pleat.
A zipper foot works brilliantly for piping.
Pull a bit of cord out of the piping so you can keep it out of your seam allowances. Your sewing machine will thank me.
Pinkers are really great for trimming the seam allowances of the collar to get it turning really nicely.
All done. I was going to add a little cuff underneath the piping on the sleeves, but I wasn’t sure if it would make it look too much like PJs. Not sure without either, really. I might go back and add it.
Ok so maybe together they’re a bit matchy, but I love both anyway. And they’re super comfy!