This fabric. It makes me sigh. I love that whole vintage beach vibe. It’s too good. I’d seen a couple of my favourite sewing bloggers (Roisin and A Million Dresses) use it and then I spotted Sew Positivity had also scored some. I made a cheeky comment about how jealous I was and do you know what sweet, sweet Elle did? She bloody went and found some for me and had it shipped here from the UK. What a legend.
And one night while that delicious fabric was winging its way down under, I sat down for a solo Netflix viewing of the girliest movie I could tolerate. I settled on ‘You Before Me’. It was actually quite enjoyable. I admired Lou’s (Emilia Clarke) wardrobe through the whole thing (if you’ve seen it, you’ll understand) but my heart skipped a little beat when this scene graced my screen in full colour.
OMG, that’s my bloody fabric!
Heck yes it is. Turns out, the outfit is Ralph Lauren and was sourced from the chain store TK Maxx. You can read about that here.
It’s actually a top and a skirt.
The universe wanted me to own this fabric, I know it.
The day it arrived on my doorstep, it was washed, dried and in pieces within a couple of hours. No mucking around here. I had my future sister in laws hens day coming up and the theme was ‘island princess’. This fabric was perfect for it.
I’d already toiled Butterick 6483 so there were no hold ups in getting this baby done. The biggest change was a 2 inch full bust adjustment. You might have seen my otter version of this dress, which is actually my second version. This is the first but I was waiting on my red frog closures for a really long time so I’ve only just got around to photographing it. Big props to Tea Dust and Stitches who scored me the frogs, I am still waiting on a pair from China some 6 weeks later. This dress has taken a village.
So. The whole thing sewed up like a dream. No issues whatsoever. The linen is superb to sew with and is lovely to wear. I popped a pocket in the right side seam and there is a zip in the left.
A mandatory requirement of the hens party was a flower crown. I searched the shops up here but we really don’t have that much variety. Plus I was really keen on having some native flowers in mine. Preferably yellow or red to match my dress. I hit Spotlight and found this wattle. It was perfect. I grabbed some ivy to fill it out and also wire from the millinery section. I measured out some wire against my head and went to work, winding everything around it. Then I secured some parts down with green thread so it sat a bit flatter. A hack job because I had no idea what I was doing, but it ended up working quite well.
You should have seen us in all our flower crowned glory last night, downing espresso martinis and generally just being fabulous. It was a sight to behold.