Oh goodness, this has been a process. As my little business grows, it has become more and more important to me to tweak patterns within an inch of their lives so they fit the image in my head.
This dress, who has been named Joan after my Dad’s mum, has taken months of work from vision to actual wearable dress. I’m not a pattern designer, so I generally take bits and pieces of vintage patterns I like and blend them all together to come up with a complete dress.
I’ve made six versions to test on myself and really, most of them have been ok. The first was too small in the bust, the second gaped at the neck, the third needed a touch more room in the armscye and the versions after that had slight changes to bodice and skirt length.
Even looking at these images now is making me want to go and change a couple more tiny things. But at some point I have to let it go and realise that not everything will fit everyone without a wrinkle here and there.
Now it’s time to grade this sucker into sizes 8-18, sew up some more samples and test them for fit across the sizes. So it will still be a while before they appear in the shop. But we’re getting there.
Fabric kindly provided by Sewing Gem in exchange for some images of it sewn up. Thanks Gem!
My new favourite earrings by Kirbee Lawler. They were very limited release and I am so glad I managed to snap them up. Also, look at those majestic unicorns up close. MAJESTIC.