It is highly likely I’ve used that very obvious title before – in fact, I’m sure I have. But in these fast paced, modern times when content is king, I’ve forgotten what I used it for and hopefully you have too. I was going to use ‘Hope It Gives You Hell’, but realised that sounds like I hope you have trouble with this dress too, and that’s untrue.
Let’s celebrate my over explaining with GIFs.
Broken up with another image because I’m not a monster.
Yeah she does. Except I literally mean my back, not my butt.
Sorry. I’m not sure what’s wrong with me. This dress did give me a hard time, it’s Friday night, I’ve poured a sizable drink….
Let’s talk. I used Decades of Style’s Siren Dress. Which I’ve had for quite some time but have shied away from for a couple of reasons:
(a) I knew it would be a bit of a challenge to fit
(b) Am I ok with going bra-less? Eh, not sure.
(c) Will it show my back fat?
What eventually made me give it a red hot go:
(a) That back
(b) My cavalier attitude
(c) That back.
Truth is, I was a wee bit bored and wanted something new to sew. The internet didn’t provide any super exciting versions of this dress, but I forged ahead anyway. With freaking awesome Alexander Henry fabric (which, I may add, is repping a fair few Australian bird species). A toile would have been a sensible idea, for sure, but since when have I been sensible?
Shall we talk about the bad stuff first? Lets.
- Neckline gaping – dealing with it for now, it’s not too bad.
- I had a huge gape that ran from under the arm right around the back. I mean, uuuugggggeeeeee. Ok, that needed a fix. I ended up taking it in a massive 5cms under each arm, tapering down to nothing at the waist.
- The above fix is now creating some weird bagging at the side seams. Mostly covered with the ties so not such a big thing.
- Cut the ties upside down, so the birds are running the wrong way down my back. DOH. Could not be arsed cutting them again.
- TIED THE WHOLE THING UP WRONG FOR THESE PHOTOS. What is wrong with me?! The ties are supposed to wrap around the waist and tie at the back. I did try this but found it was too short for a decent bow. A quick glance at the pattern envelope would have told me a knot was how it was supposed to be tied. I’ll remember that for when I wear it properly, I swear.
Let’s talk about the good stuff:
- I mostly saved it! It’s quite wearable
- I sewed bra cups into the lining. It ain’t no bra, but it provides a bit of something. And I even managed to get them in the right spots – even after the quite extensive adjustments.
- I self lined the ties because I didn’t want to see the wrong side of them.
- I added my own pockets instead of the solo patch pocket. I’m not a huge fan of patch pockets, mostly because I lose my phone out of them when I get into the car etc.
- Instead of the two hooks for a closure at the back I used two buttons and a hook and eye because two hooks just felt flimsy. It wouldn’t have felt so flimsy if I’d actually tied it up as intended, but never mind.
I will make another and I’ll take wedges out all over my pattern pieces to sort out the gaping thing. I’ll probably lengthen the ties a bit too, just so I can tie a bigger bow at the back. I love how wide the ties are! That back though….