Title is pretty self explanatory, right?
Here we go.
The Sweetheart Top from Gertie’s Casual Vintage book. I designed the print and ordered it on the modern jersey from Spoonflower.
I used the scraps of the fabric to make myself an Ohhh Lulu Romy bra and matching (self drafted) knickers. The nice wide elastic is from Darn Cheap Fabrics. Strapping and findings are from Booby Traps.
Next up, I tried out the new Made For Mermaids Lana bra pattern. I used excellent Ellie Whittaker swim fabric, swim lining and foam. Sadly, I wasn’t impressed with the pattern – it didn’t have different cup sizes for each band size, which is a bit odd. Apparently that has been rectified now though. I enclosed all the seams, although the cup/band seam isn’t enclosed on the pattern. The whole shebang kind of looks weird on me, so I sent it to live with my mum. Excellent fabric, ok pattern. I’ll stick with my faithful Romy though.
This next one has become a wardrobe staple, so I will share lots of pics. I wear it all the time. Like ‘drag out of the washing basket the minute it is dry’ all the time. I love love love it.
Fabric is cotton lycra from Nerida Hansen and I used the Tilly and The Buttons Agnes top pattern, shortened to hit me at the waist and then added a basic gathered skirt. I gathered with elastic for the first time and let me say, I am quite the convert. It’s a good method. Ooh, I also added sleeve ruffles.
Another success was this baby, a Made By Jacks Mum Hot Coffee Top. It’s just a really basic jumper pattern, with the hood and kanga pocket options. I kept this one simple, but as usual, cut the 3XL instead of the L because of the minimal stretch in the fabric (unbrushed fleece from Spotlight – I know, how good are they getting with their prints?!). I also increased the length so it covers my bum and left the ribbing off the bottom.
And finally, a raincoat. Fabric is just called ‘raincoat’ and when I saw it in Spotlight, I knew I needed a puffin raincoat, obviously. Similar to PUL, but not actually PUL. I didn’t have a raincoat pattern, so just used the above MBJM hoodie pattern with a couple of little modifications (sized up again so it could go over other clothes, lengthened so my butt doesn’t get wet, added extra for a CF button placket and used a facing for the hood instead of lining). The fabric sews ok, as long as you are sewing with two wrong sides facing the foot and plate. It’s got a wee bit of stretch. As soon as hemming etc is involved, that thing sticks like a nightmare. So I ended up using lightweight sew in interfacing between those sticky parts and then tore it off later, which worked well. I haven’t done any waterproofing of seams, but it seems pretty watertight. I have only been out in regular rain though, not torrential downpours. Which I’d never be in, on purpose anyway. This works for rainy school pick ups.
Ta da! Things I’ve made lately that aren’t exciting enough to deserve their own post.